This year Meyamo decide to inspire Easter egg hunters across the globe with these recipes for handmade, natural paints made from your favorite fruits and vegetables! The directions below show you how to easily extract concentrated colors from red cabbage, beat, spinach, carrots and other produce, mix them with powder sugar to create delightful shades of beautiful pastel colors. Perfect for the organic Easter Bunny. And not to worry, if your child likes to nibble on their paintbrush – the strawberry sugar paint is delicious!
Step 1: Empty the eggs you want to decorate
– First shake the egg to break the yolk
– Then, using a large sewing needle, carefully make a hole on each end of the egg
– Blow through one of the holes until everything comes out
Step 2: Create your own fruit and vegetable based paints!
Here is an example on how to make a beautiful orange paint color from carrots.
– 1 cup of shredded carrots
– 6 tablespoons of powder sugar
Pour 2 tablespoons of boiling water over the shredded carrots and let the carrots stand for 5-10 minutes.
Press and smash the shredded carrots with the back of a spoon. Strain the juice from the shredded carrots. Mix one tablespoon of the concentrated carrot juice with 6 teaspoons of powder sugar.
Tip: You can also mix the juice with egg yolk for a paint with greater consistency. Please note: this makes the paint inedible.
Use these natural paint recipes to create your own edible play dough.
Just mix one teaspoon of your concentrated fruit or vegetable extract with 9 teaspoons of powder sugar.
Step 3: Decorate and play!
– Dip your brush lightly in water to prevent the paint from drying.
– You can prop the egg in a long wooden stick so you don’t get it messy while you paint.
– You can also place the egg on the stick to dry on the egg carton.